- Pros of using channels instead of separate applications
- Example use case
- Getting started
Channels feature allows you to create multiple branches of your application that can be targeted to a different set of users. With this feature, you can upload your application content once and then link it to many channels from the web panel without the need of transferring it again.
Pros of using channels instead of separate applications
- You don’t need to upload the same data for each application separately, do it once
- Version linking is less error-prone than file uploading - if you feel confident about any version you have, you can link it to the public channel easily
- Easy version reverting - when you make a mistake, create a new version and link it back to the working game content
- Shared data - channels and version are sharing the same settings; you don’t need to copy version labels or changelogs
- Extended access control - each channel can have a separate set of license keys
Example use case
You may have an application called My Game. It’s released publicly, and you’re planning to release its new version with lots of changes, but you’re unsure if there won’t be any severe bugs inside. To solve that problem, you may want to release the new version only to a limited audience.
With channels you can create a setup like this:
- My Game
- Public Release
- Testing Release
The workflow can look like this:
- Create a new version inside My Game group.
- Upload application content to My Game group.
- Create a new version inside Testing Release channel.
- Link it to a version created inside My Game group.
- Publish it.
- Collect feedback.
- If everything looks good, create a new version inside Public Release channel.
- Link the same version as before.
- Publish it to a broader audience.
You can create a channel from your application’s page.
- Go to Applications page.
- Click on the name of your application. If you haven’t created your application yet, please visit Getting Started page to learn how to create one. 3.Click on the button in the top-right corner .
- From the drop-down menu choose the New Channel option.
- Enter your new channel name in the new form.
- Click on the Create button.
You can repeat this process to create more channels when needed.
If you now navigate to your application group you will see a brief list of channels on that page.
From there you can:
- Navigate to the channel’s page by clicking on the channel name or Edit button
- Navigate to the channel’s published version if available
- Navigate to the channel’s draft version if available
- Delete the channel by clicking on the Delete button
Uploading of the version content
You can upload version content by creating a new version from your application group page. It is the one that is listing a brief channel list.
- Navigate to the Applications page.
- Click on your application name.
- Click on the New Version button.
- Click on the Import Content button.
- Select that you want to upload a ZIP file.
- Select a ZIP file with your game’s content in the upload form.
- The upload and version processing starts automatically. Wait until it’s finished.
- Click on the Edit next to Label property and enter a label (e.g., 1.0)
- Click on the Persist button to persist this version.
Linking a version
Now when your version is persisted, you can navigate to your channel and link it to it. Linking a version means that you assign and eventually publish it on a channel. It’s required to make your content available.
- Click on the Overview tab or navigate to your application just like you did before.
- Click on your channel name. This channel will publish your newly created version.
- Click on the New Version button.
- Click on the Link to version button.
- Choose a version that you’ve just created from the Select Version drop-down.
- Click on the Link button.
Now you can see processing progress. It’s required since different channels are using separate encryption keys. When finished, you should be able to see short info that the version is now linked.
Now you can decide to either…
- Link to the different version if you do not want to publish this link, or
- Publish this version to make it available for the players.
Giving access to your users
When your channel’s version is published, you may want to make it available to specific users. To do that you have to navigate back to your channel’s page.
- Go to the Applications page.
- Locate your application on the list.
- Click on the channel name you’d like to share.
- On the channel’s page click on the Get Launcher button.
The launcher that you have now allows you to access that specific channel. If you’d like anyone to use a different channel, you need to share with them a new launcher.
In case of any errors, issues or questions, please contact us directly.