More tutorial videos
Creating a new account
Creating a new application
When you’re logged in, the first thing you want to do is to create a new application. To do so:
- Navigate to the Applications tab. You can find there an empty list of your applications.
- Click on the New Application button to navigate to the new application form.
- Enter your application name and choose your target platform.
- Click on the Create button. Your new application is now created.
Application panel allows you to do several useful things:
- Change the application name (internally)
- Change the application display name
- Change the application author
- Set the application icon (useful for Windows and OSX distributions)
- Set the patcher banner
- Set the Custom Patcher*
- Set the Compression method*
* - Some features are available only for paid or special type of accounts
You can also:
- Create a new version
- Download the launcher (available only after publishing the first application version)
Creating a new version
To create a new application version, click on the New Version button. You should see now a new version panel.
Now click the Upload Content button to get our application files to PatchKit servers.
Here you can choose a ZIP file with your game content. It is required to have a particular file structure, however.
ZIP file structure
The ZIP file is required to have a specific structure:
- executable file should be placed at the top-level of your ZIP archive
- there should be only one executable file at top-level
- *.app directory should be placed at the top-level of your ZIP archive
- there should be only one *.app directory at top-level
Example 1 - Good
In this example, there are two executables, but only one is located at the top-level position.
/game.exe /data.dat /tools/editor.exe
Example 2 - Good
Here’s a valid example of Mac OSX application.
/Game.app /Game.app/Contents/MacOS/Game /Game.app/Contents/Resources/data.dat
Example 3 - Bad
In this example, there are two executable files at the top-level position. PatchKit wouldn’t know which one is your main executable.
/editor.exe /game.exe /data.dat
Uploading your ZIP file
When your ZIP file is ready, put it into the upload form, and the upload starts automatically. Don’t close your web browser window until the uploading finishes. You will get notified when it is safe to close it.
After successful upload, your application files will be processed. This process may take a couple of minutes depending on the size of your application. After it’s done, you may get some messages regarding the results. It can be something that you have to fix and upload the ZIP file again. Don’t worry about it, and try again when that happens!
Publishing your application
Now you’re ready to publish your application. To do that, click the Publish button. You are asked if you’re absolutely sure about that. Think about it twice, since you cannot undo that!
Publishing takes a while. You can see a progress bar indicating the publishing process. You don’t need to wait for it though; you will be notified by e-mail when the process is done.
Getting the launcher
As soon as your game is published, you can get a hold of your game launcher. It’s a small application that downloads the game and makes sure it’s always up to date.
Do you have any issues getting started with PatchKit? If yes, please don’t hesitate and contact us on email@example.com.