Creating new application
When you’re logged in, the first thing you want to do is to create a new application. In order to do so:
- Naviate to the Applications tab. You will find an empty list of your applications.
- Click on the New Application button. You will be directed to the new application form.
- Enter your application name and choose your target platform.
- Click on the Create button. Your new application is now created.
Application panel allows you to do several things:
- Change application name (internal)
- Change application display name
- Change application author
- Change target platform (this shouldn’t be done when an app is already published)
You can also:
- Create a new version
- Get the launcher
Let’s now focus on…
Creating new version
In order to create a new application version, just click on the New Version button. You will be redirected to the new version panel.
Now click on the Upload Content button to get our application files to PatchKit servers.
Here you can choose a ZIP file with your game content. It is required to have a certain file structure, though.
ZIP file structure
ZIP file is required to have a certain structure:
- executable file should be placed at the top-level of your ZIP archive
- there should be only one executable file at top-level
- *.app directory should be placed at the top-level of your ZIP archive
- there should be only one *.app directory at top-level
Example 1 - Good
In this example there are two executables, but only one is located at the top-level position.
/game.exe /data.dat /tools/editor.exe
Example 2 - Good
Here’s a valid example of Mac OSX application.
/Game.app /Game.app/Contents/MacOS/Game /Game.app/Contents/Resources/data.dat
Example 3 - Bad
In this example there are two executable files at top-level position. PatchKit wouldn’t know which one is your main executable.
/editor.exe /game.exe /data.dat
Uploading your ZIP file
When your ZIP file is ready, put it into the upload form and the upload will start automatically. Don’t close your web browser window until the uploading is done. You will get notified when it is safe to close it.
After successful upload, your application files will be processed. This process will take a couple of minutes depending of the size of your application. After it’s done, you may get some messages regarding the results. It can be something that you have to fix and upload the ZIP file again. Don’t worry about it, and try again when that happens!
Publishing your application
Now you’re ready to publish your application. In order to do that, simply click on Publish button. You will be asked if you’re absolutely sure about it. Think about it twice, since you cannot undo that!
Publishing will take a while. You will see a progress bar indicating the publishing process. You don’t need to wait for it though, you will be notified by e-mail when the process is done.
Getting the launcher
As soon as your game is published, you can get a hold of your game launcher. It’s a small application which will download a game and make sure it’s always up to date.
Do you have any issues getting started with PatchKit? If yes, please don’t hesitate and contact us on email@example.com.