Customizing Unity-based single-launcher
This page is about Unity-based single-launcher customization. If you wish to learn more about launchers, see Launchers Overview.
Before you start
Before you start customizing your launcher, you first have to create your account and set up your game. You may find out how to do that in Getting Started page. As soon as you did that, please proceed further.
Getting hands on the project
You can get the project source files from GitHub project page.
The project has been created and tested with Unity 2018.4.x. We highly recommend using the same version while working with the project; otherwise, you may encounter unexpected issues. You can get it through Unity Archive. If you already have a Unity version installed via Unity Hub, simply use it to download 2018.4. If you’re not using Unity Hub, please follow these instructions.
Basic look & feel
Before starting the customization of your launcher, make sure to make a copy of the
Patcher scene and do all the modifications on that new scene. If you modify the supplied scene, any asset upgrade overwrites your changes!
The launcher layout is done entirely in Unity UI. Feel free to change it however you want, but make sure to keep all the attached scripts in place.
Changing the window size
If you’d like to change the window size, you should update it in Player Settings, Resolution and Presentation, Default Screen Width/Height.
- Choose Tools / Build / PLATFORM_NAME from the main menu, where PLATFORM_NAME is your target platform for which you’re building your launcher.
- Select an empty directory and name your build. We recommend naming it
- Remember where the launcher has been built. You will need those files in a moment.
Building the launcher using Unity’s Build Settings window or File / Build And Run option may result in a corrupted build. As a result, your launcher may not work at all.
Do not be surprised that launcher is not working when you run it from the desktop. It needs to be uploaded to the PatchKit’s panel first.
Now when you have your new launcher build, you have to upload it to your PatchKit account.
- Navigate to publisher panel applications page.
- Click the New Application button and then choose New Launcher from the popup.
- In the new application form, name your launcher (e.g.,
My Launcher Windows 64) and click the Create button. Shortly after, you should be able to see your new application.
- Now click the New Version button.
- Edit the new version Label to, let’s say,
- Click the Upload Content button.
- Compress the directory of your launcher into the zip file. Make sure that the patcher.manifest file can be found next to the launcher executable.
- Choose that newly created zip file as your application content.
- Wait for the upload and version processing to finish.
- If there are no errors, click the Publish button.
- After the version is published, navigate to your game’s page.
- Inside Configuration panel look for Custom Launcher field. Click on the Edit button right next to it.
- From the drop-down, select your new launcher.
- Click on the Save button.
From now on, your new application is using your custom launcher instead of the default one.
Unity-based single-launcher will be getting updates from time to time introducing new features and bug fixes. If you’re using a custom launcher, make sure to either:
Some releases may include migration guidelines since new changes can break yours.
Updating custom launcher is the same process as updating every application - you need to upload a new version to your launcher application and publish it. Old launcher versions are replaced by the new version on the next start of the runner application.
The launcher crashes right away
First, look into the logs. A significant error message should be at the end of it. Usually, there may be two reasons:
- You’re trying to start launcher directly - this is not allowed. You can only test it inside Unity editor. When it’s built, you have to upload it to PatchKit for further testing.
- You did change application secret in inspector - For security reasons you have to reset application secret to default value which currently is
If you’d require any help with the custom launcher, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We will assist you the best as we can!